The Written Declaration no. 54 for the transportation of horses for slaughter in the European Union got the necesary number of signatures of the MEPs and it was announced today by the President in plenary. It was really a great day.
Thank you to all who have been involved in making lobby by emailing and phoning the MEPs.
Many thanks to World Horse Welfare who was so involved in organizing a lobby campaign, getting updated information and succeeded also in getting an extension on it.
All the best.
Written declaration on the transportation of horses for slaughter in the European Union
The European Parliament,
– having regard to Rule 123 of its Rules of Procedure,
A. whereas every year approximately 100 000 horses are transported unnecessarily long distances under inhumane conditions into and across the European Union for slaughter,
B. whereas there is well-documented evidence showing that horses are being transported over long distances, causing a variety of welfare problems such as serious injury, disease, exhaustion and dehydration, because of the inadequacies of the existing legislation,
C. whereas there is strong evidence to suggest that Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 of 22 December 2004 on the protection of animals during transport and related operations has not been robustly enforced,
D. whereas a review of Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005 is being carried out by the Commission,
1. Notes the petition collected by World Horse Welfare on the long-distance transportation of horses to slaughter in Europe;
2. Calls on the Commission and Member States effectively to scrutinise World Horse Welfare’s dossier of evidence in the context of the Commission’s review of Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005;
3. Urges the Member States and the European Commission to robustly enforce Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005;
4. Instructs its President to forward this declaration, together with the names of the signatories, to the Council, the Commission, and the parliaments and government of the Member States.
Lobbying works ! - congratulations everyone – SAV